Skip to main content
Powered by rSchoolToday
 News Article
Irish Play to a Wild 3-3 at Avon
The Cathedral girls traveled to Avon with tired legs and missing a couple players due to minor injuries.  Only 48 hours after a tough match against Noblesville, the Irish challenged the 3A #8 Orioles on a wet evening.  Whether it was the conditions or something else altogether, there were plenty of goals.

The JV match was dominated by the Irish from start to finish with only a few challenges from Avon.   Cathedral took the lead early in the first half and never looked back.  The Orioles were able to find the back of the Irish net once, but was little consolation as they fell 3-1 to a Cathedral team that dominated possession and goal-scoring opportunities.  Five different players were involved in the 3 goal effort.  What a way to bounce back from a disappointing scoreline just two days earlier.  Well done Irish!

In the varsity match, the Irish took the lead in the 27th minute when Junior Maddie Wirth beat an opponent off the dribble down the left side and smacked a fantastic cross into the box.  Sophomore Caroline Cline never broke stride as she pounded the ball with her head beating the goalkeeper at the near post.  Unfortunately, only a minute later Avon hit a slow rolling shot from 16 yards out that found its way through a number of players, off the far post and in to make it 1-1.  The match went back and forth with few good opportunities for either side but quite a bit of attacking soccer.  The match was even at the half.

Zoie Obst replaced classmate Sophia Saucerman in the goal at halftime when the starter was unable to continue due to a back injury.  What a job Obst did.  The match opened up as both teams began creating good scoring opportunitites.  Avon would strike first after the break.  In the 49th minute, a corner created a scramble for the ball in front of the Irish goal that was punched in from close range.  The Irish would not relent after falling behind for the first time in the match.  Their efforts were rewarded when an Avon clearance found the feet of Senior Olivia Carrico just outside the corner of the box on the left side.  The wingback took a touch into the box and deftly bent a right-footed shot into the far side net that left the Oriole keeper rooted to the ground.  It was 2-2 in the 65th minute.  Only four minutes later, the Irish won a corner kick from the right side that was taken by Junior Marcelle Blanchet.  The corner was knocked back toward Blanchet who hit a dipping volley toward the far post.  The cross was met by Senior centerback Hailey Loftin who directed the ball into the top of the net with her head.  This crazy match still had one unfortunate twist left for the Irish.  With just over five minutes remaining the Orioles earned a corner kick.  The Irish defended the corner but allowed another corner in the process.  The Avon goal was a replay of the scrammble that led to their second goal of the match.  A fantastic effort by the ladies against a fresh, highly ranked squad ended in a 3-3 draw.  

Staying undefeated against two top 10 3A teams is a good start to the season.  However, the schedule offers little time for reflection as the girls prepare to play long-time rival North Central at North Central on Saturday.  This will be another huge test as the Irish continue to forge their team identity through adversity early in the season.  We are proud of you, Irish!
Author: Marc Behringer   E-Mail: